Computer Problems/Upgrade

4 posters

Go down

Computer Problems/Upgrade Empty Computer Problems/Upgrade

Post  kookaburra Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:44 am

Hi Guys

Sorry for my abrupt departure from the Sabre training exercise yesterday. As soon as the group started taxiing from the parking area my computer became un-responsive....nothing would work, keyboard, flight controls, mouse...everything. I could hear Speed and Squiz talking to me but I couldn't respond.

I have suspected for some time that my system was struggling with DCS so have bitten the bullet and invested about $2000 AU in a new setup which will be used exclusively for flight sim work. The system will be custom built.

The specs are:

F9C System Chassis with Advanced Cooling Design
600W Platinum Power Supply
Intel Core i7 7700 Processor
Asus H81M-A 7th Gen Motherboard
nVidia GeForce GTX 1050
16GB Dual Layer DDR4 Ripjaws Memory
2TB SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
Dual Layer DVD Burner
High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio
High Performance Gigabit Ethernet
Windows 10 64-bit
Samsung 27" LED curved monitor.

This should give me the best shot at relatively trouble free flying, although I am sure the odd DCS bug will still rear it's head.

At this point I would like to thank my sponsor (my wife Suzie) who very wisely decided that a happy simmer is a joy to live with and worth every cent of the cost of a new system.
kookaburra
kookaburra

Back to top Go down

Computer Problems/Upgrade Empty Re: Computer Problems/Upgrade

Post  StiC Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 am

That's awesome Kooka. Will it be ready for this week?

Something I've been meaning to ask for a while is if it's worth installing Windows 10 yet. The last time I tried it I had issues with my Saitek hardware.
StiC
StiC
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Computer Problems/Upgrade Empty Computer Upgrade

Post  Speed Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:45 am

Great news Kooka!!

In fact I was thinking of you this morning as I sipped my coffee remembering back to those early days when I couldn't stay connected and would continually drop off in the middle of a flight. I always seemed to be dragging up the tail end and was frustrated in not being able to keep up. But the guys were always supportive and encouraged me to stay with it. I'm glad I did.

I was imagining that you were feeling the same frustrations so I wanted to say to stick with it and eventually things will sort themselves out. You have all the support and backing you need from the group and I think I can speak for everyone to say that we are delighted that you have decided to upgrade.

Once those frustrations are eliminated, you can fully enjoy the Sabre and flying side by side with your mates.

Cheers

P.S.

Sounds like a great setup!!
Speed
Speed
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  |450|Devil Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:07 pm

I drool with envy.

ps. Have to go up to Melbourne so I will not be flying today (Monday night Canada time)

pps. re Stic's query on Windows 10 - I have had no issues with Windows 10 and my Saitek rudder pedals.
|450|Devil
|450|Devil

Back to top Go down

Post  kookaburra Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:48 am

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your support. I was certainly feeling guilty about spoiling the group's enjoyment of the DCS Sabre.

I doubt that the new rig will be ready for this coming weekend, the suppliers have to assemble it from scratch and once it is assembled they run it for 48 hours straight to make sure there are no problems. It then has to be shipped from Sydney, about a thousand miles.

On Squiz's advice I upgraded the video card from NVIDIA GTX 1050 to 1060 (I was on a roll when it comes to spouse approval so I thought I would push my luck and throw another couple of hundred at the problem).

My major problem now will be that I won't be able to blame my tools...so I will have to lift my game!!
kookaburra
kookaburra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down