WARFRONT Server Addition Ideas

4 posters

Go down

WARFRONT Server Addition Ideas Empty WARFRONT Server Addition Ideas

Post  Wolverine Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:56 am

Hey everyone,

I'd like to solicit ideas from everyone who has played the Warfront server on what might be a nice addition to the mission. So far the 'basic' mission structure works and I'm enjoying playing it and that's key for the very base concept: that it's fun to begin with. But can we make it MORE fun! Here's some of my ideas. Add your own, or comment on ideas already posted!

1. Pilot loss tracking

In a similar way to the way the frontline positions are kept track of, we could add a way of tracking the number of pilots captured, killed, missing presumed drowned, etc. I'm not sure what to do with this info beyond display it as a running tally, but it might be a neat way of seeing how well or how poorly your team is performing in keeping their pilots alive.

2. Points for holding territory

I believe I could pretty easily add a 'point' structure that would assign points for various cities and calculate a running total score for each team. This would mean that at certain times during the mission (maybe twice - once at four hours and once at eight) points would be added up based on what territory belongs to who and this value could be carried forward persistently. Some cities would be worth more than others, maybe. Cherbourg and Le Havre as major ports would be high value for example and offer more points than smaller locations like Bernay or St. Lo. It would need to be balanced so that people don't just ignore the tiny towns (they would still offer smaller value but since they're easier to take than the big towns they're still worth attacking).
Wolverine
Wolverine
Squadron Leader

https://401squadron.canadaboard.net

Back to top Go down

WARFRONT Server Addition Ideas Empty Re: WARFRONT Server Addition Ideas

Post  Wolverine Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:58 pm

Another idea:

Reconnaissance Photography

I believe that a system could be developed (with a modest level of difficulty) that would give pilots the option to activate a reconnaissance camera over a valid target.

The system would function by creating a distance radius around a target that would allow the activation of the camera via the custom Tab 4 mission menus, similar to the way that the RADAR stations allow contact within a certain radius and then once too far away, will report out of range.

A pilot, upon reaching the location of the target and being within a small radius above the target, would activate their camera via the menu system. This would then begin a timer. At the end of the timer, the aircraft must still be over the target in order to obtain a successful photo run.

The tricky bit would be what happens next. All of the above shouldn't be too hard to do (by which I mean, I could probably do it). The hard bit would be then coming up with a way that requires that aircraft to return safely to friendly territory before the photo run would count. Alternatively, a completed photo-run might just trigger a timer before the mission is counted as successful (simply done).

As for how the run would count, it might produce a new target on the map for players to attack, or it might enable the option to send AI bombers to the newly discovered target.
Wolverine
Wolverine
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  alpine Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:58 pm

I like the photo recon idea in particular,or perhaps a way of plotting and reporting grid co-ordinates of targets.Being a computer noob in so many ways,I don't know if this is possible.
alpine
alpine
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriousRuse Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:21 pm

Convoys, trains, other troop movements.

Right now there are some massive spaces open between certain towns, so that all of a sudden taking one small town leap frogs you forty KM forward. Maybe make shifting the battle lines in those large open areas a function of hitting convoys and such moving to the front rather than performing CAS well beyond or behind the "front" could be used to help do some of the open terrain shifting?

GloriousRuse

Back to top Go down

Post  |450|Squiz Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:58 am

1. I am working on a score system that should encourage all pilots to return to base safely after their mission.

2. Could a successful recce flight show the position of all the targets in a town so that we could plan our attacks for minimum damage to our aircraft?

3. Long distances between towns are a fact of life - no other action should be necessary to change the front line except to capture the towns. If the front line ever reaches north-western France, the towns are within a stone's throw of each other and the progress will surely slow right down.

Squiz
|450|Squiz
|450|Squiz

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolverine Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:42 am

|450|Squiz wrote:2.  Could a successful recce flight show the position of all the targets in a town so that we could plan our attacks for minimum damage to our aircraft?

This would be ideal, but I haven't played around with the functions related to putting icons on the in game map in real time. We could possibly give specific X by Y coords for targets, but I don't think you can see those numbers in game. Alternatively, a successful recce could reduce the number of AA guns at the target as an off handed way of simulating the value of the info?
Wolverine
Wolverine
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down