Retirement from CoD (not 401 Sqn) - Speed

3 posters

Go down

Retirement from CoD (not 401 Sqn) - Speed Empty Retirement from CoD (not 401 Sqn) - Speed

Post  Speed Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:27 am

Hi gents,

Very reluctantly I've made the decision to retire from CoD. Seems I've stirred up the ire of some of the ATAG guys with my most recent post and have clearly violated the inner sanctum of the FM team. I got the message loud and clear that my welcome at ATAG has come to an end. You can read Buzzsaw's comments for yourself, they were very direct, if not unnecessarily harsh and personal. My reaction is not one of annoyance, but rather more like I just got a good slap in the face and woke up to the fact that I've been at this for too long. My passion for CoD sometimes leads me down the rocky slope of stepping beyond my (or other people's) boundaries and has gotten me into hot water on several occasions.

I took up CoD in the month after my wife died in an attempt to fill some of the void left behind. CoD never really filled that void, but it was effective at wasting away many many long boring nights since. It's now been five and a half years and I haven't needed that crutch in a long time but continued to play out of the pure enjoyment I always got from flying with you guys: 401/450 and the ATAG/ACG folks all included. But, I've come to the realization after reading Buzzsaw's remarks that I need to find some new outlet for my spare time. I lay awake all last night mulling this over in my mind and this seems to be the best solution. I don't want 401 Sqn to wear any of the crap flying my way. I did what I did, I take full and sole responsibility for my post, and if anyone calls the Sqn into question over it, then just tell them that I acted on my own and you have no idea what it was about.

So I'm going off comms for the time being and will not be flying CoD anymore. I will try to take up DCS at some point and will likely poke my head back into the forum to say hi and see if you guys are also moving in the direction next year.

No goodbyes, as it's not my intent to leave 401 Sqn, so I'll just say "see you later" and wish you all well for the coming holiday season and hope that good things happen to you and yours in 2017.

Cheers

Speed
Speed
Speed
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

Retirement from CoD (not 401 Sqn) - Speed Empty Re: Retirement from CoD (not 401 Sqn) - Speed

Post  Wolverine Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:44 pm

We won't let you get away that easy. You'll be called back once we get the DCS Spitfire, not to worry.

Bottom line: if it's not fun and you can't make it fun, don't do it.

Some people make a career (even a second volunteer one that they don't get paid for) out of being authorities online, whether or not they can actually back it up. I'm sure Buzzsaw is a very nice guy if you met him. Unfortunately, he's in a position with TF that makes him a God within the world of TF and Cliffs of Dover, actually capable of changing the nature of reality in the game. So when someone like that thinks that they are right and you are wrong (whether they actually are or not), there's generally a few types of responses you'll get:

1. Paternal like dismissal
2. Angry counterattack (the 'you're wasting my time' type response)
3. Completely ignored

So unless he's got some reason to see you as an equal in the field, you were only ever going to get one of the above types of responses. From Buzzsaw, you got number 2 and a couple of number 1s from a few others by the looks of it. Hard to measure how many number 3s.

Chin up. Even if your premise regarding the speeds etc was wrong or had incorrect assumptions or knowledge, you were engaging with the subject matter and might have been encouraged to learn more about it if the response hadn't been so violent. If I was a moderator over there, that kind of response to an earnest contributor would have gotten a warning. But I'm an idiot so what do I know.
Wolverine
Wolverine
Squadron Leader

https://401squadron.canadaboard.net

Back to top Go down

Retirement from CoD (not 401 Sqn) - Speed Empty Re: Retirement from CoD (not 401 Sqn) - Speed

Post  StiC Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:32 pm

It won't be the same without you. Hopefully the DCS modules and map get us all together again.
StiC
StiC
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down