SSD versus HDD

2 posters

Go down

SSD versus HDD Empty SSD versus HDD

Post  Speed Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:44 pm

Gents,

I need some advice on the logic of trying to upgrade my harddrive. My rig scores very high on the performance index for all systems except my hardrive which chuggs in at a paltry 5.6. All other systems score within a fraction of a percent at max so I want to look at upgrading to a solid state system.

My current set up is as follows:
A. 30 GB 2.5" SATA MLC-SSD (Main Boot Up Drive) boot up drive is already solid state

B. 2 TB (1 x 2TB) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD my storage disk is mechanical and I'm sure this is where CoD operates from so I'm wondering if swapping this out for a 1 TB SSD would greatly improve my CoD performance.

Any comments or suggestions? I'll continue to do a bit of research on this and pass along what I learn.
Speed
Speed
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

SSD versus HDD Empty Re: SSD versus HDD

Post  |450|Target Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi DNR,

My new rig has a solid state HD and really the only performance increase I found when I switched the game to it was faster load in times. Just my 2 cents worth (less tax and south Pacific Peso depreciation).
|450|Target
|450|Target

Back to top Go down

SSD versus HDD Empty SSD versus HDD

Post  Speed Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:45 am

Thanks Targs,

that's good to know because these things are not cheap. A 750Gb SSD runs from $550 and up well past $1,200 if you want a 1 TB capacity. May not be worth the extra cost, and as Squiz mentioned last night, he's defering that until when he replaces his rig. I bought mine with the intention of replacing it in 5 years, so being at the three year mark now, I might just wait and include this in the list of must haves for the next machine.

Thanks buddy!
Speed
Speed
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  |450|Target Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:04 am

Yep, I am using mine for the operating system and keep most games on my old HD. Works fine. I must say that I am itching for a new vid card now though. Friggen hell Santa is too long away.
|450|Target
|450|Target

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down