Awesome Virtual Reality

3 posters

Go down

Awesome Virtual Reality Empty Awesome Virtual Reality

Post  |450|Devil Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:08 am

I have bought the Oculus Quest 2 and tried DCS in VR today for the first time. It is awesome. From my quick test today I expect that I will not fly in VR yet as my graphics card is only a GTX 980 Ti so the vision is somewhat jerky. For example, using the mouse to click on switches was very jerky. That said, sitting in the cockpit was just that - sitting in the cockpit. A bit strange feeling around for my joystick and Hotas but I expect there is a significant learning curve to come to grips with.

I intend upgrading my computer towards the middle of the year when it is expected that the availability of the 30 series cards will be better - now that Nvidia has released a crypro-currency mining card the pressure on high end graphics cards should slowly decrease.

Another factor delaying my leap into VR flying is that today we selected our builder for a major renovation of our house and we will be moving out for about four months from late May while the work is going on - so I think it is not a good idea to invest in a new computer until I can set it up in my new study.

For those already flying DCS in VR, I now know what I have been missing.
|450|Devil
|450|Devil

Back to top Go down

Awesome Virtual Reality Empty Re: Awesome Virtual Reality

Post  Wolverine Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:14 am

VR is definitely immersive experience with DCS. You hit the nail on the head with the controls issues though. It's okay if you've got everything mapped to your HOTAS setup, but as soon as I need to reach for the keyboard or the other throttle quads that host some of my control options, it gets pretty hairy.

I love how it messes with your brain when you pull loops and inverted stuff, but there's a lot of neck strain with it. Checking six becomes a 1 to 1 movement issue and it's obvious that our virtual pilots would suffer broken necks during each flight with the way our TrackIR stuff is tuned. Plus the weight gets to be a lot after an hour of flying. And if you've got a cable tethering the headset to the PC, that can also become annoying. Other than that, VR is awesome! :P

I think the final push to VR really needs to be fully wireless with at least 4 hours of play time on the battery, and light. Very light. As light as possible.
Wolverine
Wolverine
Squadron Leader

https://401squadron.canadaboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  StiC Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:48 pm

Congrats Devil. Formation flying, ata refueling and landing are so much better in VR. As for the mouse, there is a UI category in the control options that lest you assign mouse clicks and scroll wheel to your game controller. There is also an option (I can't remember where) that lets you boresight a mouse cursor to your face. So essentially you con look at a cockpit control and interact with it without ever reaching for the mouse.
StiC
StiC
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  |450|Devil Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:03 pm

From the post in the link below it would appear that DCS can be played on the Oculus Quest 2 without the need for a cable linking to the computer using Virtual Desktop. I have not been able to try it as my computer is not equipped with WiFi - something I will be rectifying when I upgrade to a new computer later this year. Would do it sooner but we have just signed a contract with a builder to undertake a complete renovation of our home that will involve us moving into rental accommodation for about four months from the end of May while the work is undertaken.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/jaxc6h/dcs_on_vr_on_the_quest_2/

Virtual Desktop https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772/

I have ordered the Oculus Elite Strap with battery which (according to Oculus) doubles playing time. https://www.oculus.com/accessories/quest-2-elite-strap-battery-case/

|450|Devil
|450|Devil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down