Corona virus - the silver lining in this current cloud

3 posters

Go down

Corona virus - the silver lining in this current cloud Empty Corona virus - the silver lining in this current cloud

Post  |450|Devil Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:34 pm

With so many people moving to work from home in Australia with the current corona virus situation there was real concern that our national broadband network (NBN corporation) would be unable to meet the demand.

Apparently, the NBN and ISP operators have done some e-magic to boost capacity. I am on fixed wireless NBN which in theory can operate up to 25 Mbps download. However, as I share my service with other fixed wireless users in my area I generally get between 3 to 6 Mbps download during daytime.

Just checked my current download / upload speeds and I am getting 64 Mbps download and 5.6 Mbps upload - bloody amazing!!!
|450|Devil
|450|Devil

Back to top Go down

Corona virus - the silver lining in this current cloud Empty Download Speeds

Post  Speed Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:26 am

In Canada, by contrast, my internet provider just charged me $35 for data overages related to my Win 10 crash and recovery efforts back in November. In checking my original contract of some thirteen years ago, I am limited to 20GB per month, but I also noticed that the contract promised download speeds of up to 7 Mbps. What a joke!!

This Saturday/Sunday just before flight time, I performed a download speed test and got a whopping 450 - 50 Kbps, more commonly referred to as .45 Mbps.

A long bloody way from 7 Mbps. I made a big point of that in responding to my service provider for data overage charges.

Needless to say, I didn't even try to log on Saturday night. It's just a lost cause at this point.

Speed

P.S.

I also notice a lot of stuttering since the 2.5.6. update. Any of you experiencing the same thing? Any SP mission with more than three aircraft is almost unflyable. I've been practicing ACM with guns only in scenarios against two or three MiG-29s and one AWACS and when the fight gets close I get a slide show just like the bad old days of CoD.
Speed
Speed
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

Corona virus - the silver lining in this current cloud Empty Re: Corona virus - the silver lining in this current cloud

Post  StiC Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:55 pm

I noticed the stuttering as well. I thought it was a VR thing.
StiC
StiC
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Corona virus - the silver lining in this current cloud Empty Re: Corona virus - the silver lining in this current cloud

Post  |450|Devil Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm

I was flying with Squiz yesterday and I had a couple of micro-freezes that Squiz did not seem to experience. I think there are a few bugs in the latest upgrade.
|450|Devil
|450|Devil

Back to top Go down

Post  |450|Devil Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:07 pm

Just done a speed test. 28.1 Mbps download and 1.8 Mbps upload. Looks like I am in for a internet roller coaster ride as my provider tries to balance speeds with increased users during the day.
|450|Devil
|450|Devil

Back to top Go down

Post  Speed Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:31 pm

That's incredible!!

I can only dream......
Speed
Speed
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

Corona virus - the silver lining in this current cloud Empty Coronavirus and the not so silver lining of the stock market crash

Post  Speed Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:30 am

On the plus side, the coronavirus means that I can stay home all day and do nothing because everything is closed and everyone is hiding ------ oh yeh, I do that anyway.

Well then, at least I have had all week to watch my stock portfolio shrink $250K in value, but that's not very re-assuring of a healthy financial future???

Maybe I'd better get ahead of the coronavirus/economic collapse curve and go buy myself a monkey and squeeze box before prices start to skyrocket!

Hopefully I'll be on tonight. If not, you know it's that never fails to fail internet of mine.
Speed
Speed
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  Speed Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:14 pm

Tested just now at 12:10 PM local and got the best reading ever. 3.18 Mbps down/.68 Mbps up.

Let's see what it is at 7:00 PM tonight when everyone is on Netflix.

Just ran a quick test of the latest Open Beta update along with the just released GPU drivers but didn't see much improvement in frame rate stability. Only four A/C in my ACM guns scenario and still noticing small stutters.
Speed
Speed
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  |450|Devil Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:17 pm

With a significant part of the world moving to delivering school lessons online to students in isolation and with many workers being required to work from home, I think the www is about to be put under significant strain 24/7. Many ISPs have boosted their service speeds and switched their customers to bigger data allowances but I think, while this is good in the short term, it will not be sustainable as more and more users go online during what had traditionally been "work / school" hours.

All this disruption caused by something we cannot easily see or touch or taste - and people thought Uber and the gig economy was disruptive!!!

Stay safe.
|450|Devil
|450|Devil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down