Computer Systems and Software Settings

+3
Wolverine
alpine
Speed
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Computer Systems and Software Settings - Page 3 Empty Re: Computer Systems and Software Settings

Post  alpine Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:18 pm

I have a 1 gig AMD 6850 PCI-E 2.0x16 graphics card.I want a 7800 series 2 gig card.All 2 gig cards show 3.0x16.Does this matter?
alpine
alpine
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Computer Systems and Software Settings - Page 3 Empty Re: Computer Systems and Software Settings

Post  Hawk Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:59 pm

Alpine....from all I've read in the past, PCI 3.0 is definitely backwards compatible with the PCI 2.0 motherboard slots. In fact, it works the other way around also, using a PCI 2.0 card in a 3.0 slot...hope this helps! Hawk
Hawk
Hawk
Flight Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  alpine Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:16 pm

From what I understand,all that seems to matter is the fact that is it a PCI-E slot or the older PCI.Thanks.
alpine
alpine
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Computer Systems and Software Settings - Page 3 Empty FRAPS

Post  Speed Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Gents,

I know that Hooves used FRAPS to capture video of our flights together so I'd like to know if any of you are using it and if you have any suggestions or recommendations. Wolverine suggested setting it up to the gun trigger to capture engagements which would be pretty cool to say the least. I have a huge hard drive that's almost completely empty so storage space for the files is not an issue (I read that the Version 3 limited captures to 3GB sizes, but that the new version allows much larger size. Not sure how much you would need to capture a few minutes of gun footage but I don't think it would be large.
Speed
Speed
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  StiC Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:41 pm

I happened to install the demo this morning and at half resolution (1/4 screen) it was 45MB for 30sec of footage. I rounded it up to a Gig every 10mins. I need something to keep a record as my memory fails more often than not.
StiC
StiC
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Speed Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:52 am

Roger,

I could see how it would be useful for our AARs as the details sometimes begin to blend after an hour and a half sortie. We might also want to consider using something like this in the future as a way to verify kill claims. We could convene a weekly commitee to score each pilot's camera footage and the committee awards kills, partials and damage with a full point, half and quarter points awarded respectively. Food for thought but I think I'll start with the free trial version to make sure it doesn't interfer with my other functions (CoD, Teamspeak, Track IR).

Hooves seemed to be able to run it just fine and I'm sure his rig was not as capable as some of the one's we're using now.
Speed
Speed
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  StiC Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:12 am

dnr wrote:Roger,

I could see how it would be useful for our AARs as the details sometimes begin to blend after an hour and a half sortie. We might also want to consider using something like this in the future as a way to verify kill claims. We could convene a weekly commitee to score each pilot's camera footage and the committee awards kills, partials and damage with a full point, half and quarter points awarded respectively. Food for thought but I think I'll start with the free trial version to make sure it doesn't interfer with my other functions (CoD, Teamspeak, Track IR).

Hooves seemed to be able to run it just fine and I'm sure his rig was not as capable as some of the one's we're using now.

The demo version only allows 30sec per clip. Perfect for gun cameras but not as useful for AARs. Also I couldn't bind it to any controller buttons, but I didn't look very hard for a solution. The colours were strange, but I noticed a different RGB capture option which uses more resources, but may fix the problem.

UPDATE:
I bought the full program. The RGB option set things right. I recorded a 3:08 min/sec video and it was 3.78 GB. I recommend chopping it into 4GB chunks for easier editing. I'm gonna need a bigger HDD.
StiC
StiC
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  StiC Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 am

Recorded 75mins last night to an external HDD and except for Wolverine's voice everything went perfect. Too bad I accidentally grabbed Spit II and can't submit an AAR, but at least I know it works. Total size was 68GB.
StiC
StiC
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Speed Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:38 pm

Great,

I actually fired up the computer early this morning with the intent of downloading/buying the program but for some reason my browser wouldn't launch on my sim computer. Probably like me it wasn't fully awake yet. I'll try again during dinner.

Can you set it up so that with a single keystroke you activate and capture, then turn off with same or another keystroke? My interest is primarily the gun sequences to study these and dogfights to learn more about what I'm doing or not doing.
Speed
Speed
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  StiC Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:42 pm

dnr wrote:
Can you set it up so that with a single keystroke you activate and capture, then turn off with same or another keystroke? My interest is primarily the gun sequences to study these and dogfights to learn more about what I'm doing or not doing.

Yes. The same key starts/stops recording. Wolverine and I discussed using the same key to toggle your sight lamp, so when it is on you are recording.
StiC
StiC
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Speed Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:02 pm

I ordered the full meal deal tonight, but realized how old fashion I am when I paid by credit card and so will get it by snail mail. PayPal, hummmm, these crazy kids today......

Big earthquake 8+ magnitude just announced, should be big news tomorrow.
Speed
Speed
Squadron Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  alpine Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Installed a new ATI 7800 card,smoothed out the game for me,but,I now have a thin yellow line going across the English channel that was not there before.Any ideas?
alpine
alpine
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3