Sim Room Project Update

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sim Room Project Update

Post  Speed on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi gents,

Thought I'd better give you a quick update on what I've been up to lately before you start checking the obits. Still here, still monitoring but not flying since May while I work on my little project.

I'm converting a space I had originally intended as a downstairs walk-in bathroom into a simulation room. It measures a scant 5' wide by 8' deep and is perfect to set up a permanent installation for my sim gear and PC.

Currently working on the basic carpentry/dry wall installation and finish work. Electrical is in, still need to work some magic on the lights and ventilation this week, and then it's over to converting my current wired network over to Wi-Fi. That means moving my gaming PC off my 70' flatscreen into the sim room, replacing that with a web-browser enabled Blu-ray player (so I can get the IMSA races) and then picking up a new 50 or 60' flatscreen that will fill the back wall and allow me to mount my trac-IR system. New gaming chair and permanent bulkheads to mount my control units and keyboard so that all the wires are hidden. Not sure when I'll finish. Budget is always the thing for us ol retired army guys who failed to get rich humping a ruck sack, but I'll keep adding items through the fall and hopefully be up and running by the time football is over.

Two pictures below are of my temporary setup, which I'm tired of setting up and tearing down - hence the break in flying, and a pic of the room in rough. Sorry second pic would not load.

Back to flying soon I hope.

Cheers

Speed
Attachments
DSCF1821.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(637 Kb) Downloaded 9 times

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Second Pic

Post  Speed on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Had to take a break to watch the IMSA race from Road America.

Here's a picture of the room in rough. Doesn't look like much at present, but just wait!!
Attachments
Simulation Room.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(917 Kb) Downloaded 7 times

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sim Room Project Update

Post  StiC on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:14 am

That's going to be really awesome! I can't wait to see the finished pics.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alpine on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:58 am

I too have a 6x8 room off of my basement rec room.But with the size of Dogfight Boss cockpit that is part of one of my retirement projects,it might be a tight fit.Still,I might move eveything down there.

alpine
Warrant Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sim Room Project

Post  Speed on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:15 am

Alpine,

It will be a tight fit for sure, but I plan to use an old computer desk that will fit perfectly against the back wall, use that to support the new flat screen and keyboard and then build structure around the chair to hold that in place while supporting my stick and throttle. That will lock the chair down and allow me to build another lower support for my rudder pedals.

Main objective here is two fold, #1 get a permanent set up that I can simply sit down at and turn on without having to drag chairs and supports and tangled wires out/and put away every time I want to fly; #2 get into a space with no light because at this time of the year at 8 pm, there's just too much light bleeding in from behind the window shades to allow my Trac-IR to work.

At present I sit about five feet from my screen with my eyes level with the top bezel of the flat screen, ergo I'm always looking down to the center of my screen. With this new setup, I should be able to use a smaller screen, sit within three feet of it and have my eyes level with the center of the picture. The Trac-IR will then be looking down at the reflectors and hopefully will be more responsive throughout a larger range of movement that I currently enjoy. I will still have enough room for the door to swing freely and enough room left/right so I don't get closet fever. Add some funky lighting, a few movie posters and there you go, and man cave inside a man cave.

It will all be neat and tidy and behind closed doors.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alpine on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:51 am

Sounds like you have all of your bases covered.

alpine
Warrant Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum