Sim Room Project Update

Go down

Sim Room Project Update Empty Sim Room Project Update

Post  Speed on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi gents,

Thought I'd better give you a quick update on what I've been up to lately before you start checking the obits. Still here, still monitoring but not flying since May while I work on my little project.

I'm converting a space I had originally intended as a downstairs walk-in bathroom into a simulation room. It measures a scant 5' wide by 8' deep and is perfect to set up a permanent installation for my sim gear and PC.

Currently working on the basic carpentry/dry wall installation and finish work. Electrical is in, still need to work some magic on the lights and ventilation this week, and then it's over to converting my current wired network over to Wi-Fi. That means moving my gaming PC off my 70' flatscreen into the sim room, replacing that with a web-browser enabled Blu-ray player (so I can get the IMSA races) and then picking up a new 50 or 60' flatscreen that will fill the back wall and allow me to mount my trac-IR system. New gaming chair and permanent bulkheads to mount my control units and keyboard so that all the wires are hidden. Not sure when I'll finish. Budget is always the thing for us ol retired army guys who failed to get rich humping a ruck sack, but I'll keep adding items through the fall and hopefully be up and running by the time football is over.

Two pictures below are of my temporary setup, which I'm tired of setting up and tearing down - hence the break in flying, and a pic of the room in rough. Sorry second pic would not load.

Back to flying soon I hope.

Cheers

Speed
Attachments
Sim Room Project Update Attachment
DSCF1821.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(637 Kb) Downloaded 13 times

Squadron Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sim Room Project Update Empty Second Pic

Post  Speed on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Had to take a break to watch the IMSA race from Road America.

Here's a picture of the room in rough. Doesn't look like much at present, but just wait!!
Attachments
Sim Room Project Update Attachment
Simulation Room.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(917 Kb) Downloaded 11 times

Squadron Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sim Room Project Update Empty Re: Sim Room Project Update

Post  StiC on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:14 am

That's going to be really awesome! I can't wait to see the finished pics.

Warrant Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alpine on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:58 am

I too have a 6x8 room off of my basement rec room.But with the size of Dogfight Boss cockpit that is part of one of my retirement projects,it might be a tight fit.Still,I might move eveything down there.

alpine
Warrant Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sim Room Project Update Empty Sim Room Project

Post  Speed on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:15 am

Alpine,

It will be a tight fit for sure, but I plan to use an old computer desk that will fit perfectly against the back wall, use that to support the new flat screen and keyboard and then build structure around the chair to hold that in place while supporting my stick and throttle. That will lock the chair down and allow me to build another lower support for my rudder pedals.

Main objective here is two fold, #1 get a permanent set up that I can simply sit down at and turn on without having to drag chairs and supports and tangled wires out/and put away every time I want to fly; #2 get into a space with no light because at this time of the year at 8 pm, there's just too much light bleeding in from behind the window shades to allow my Trac-IR to work.

At present I sit about five feet from my screen with my eyes level with the top bezel of the flat screen, ergo I'm always looking down to the center of my screen. With this new setup, I should be able to use a smaller screen, sit within three feet of it and have my eyes level with the center of the picture. The Trac-IR will then be looking down at the reflectors and hopefully will be more responsive throughout a larger range of movement that I currently enjoy. I will still have enough room for the door to swing freely and enough room left/right so I don't get closet fever. Add some funky lighting, a few movie posters and there you go, and man cave inside a man cave.

It will all be neat and tidy and behind closed doors.

Squadron Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alpine on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:51 am

Sounds like you have all of your bases covered.

alpine
Warrant Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sim Room Project Update Empty Simulation Room Project

Post  Speed on Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:10 pm

Time to get onto the next phase of my sim room project. The room is ready for paint and trim and I need to hire an electrician to come in and add a new circuit breaker to the main panel, but other than that, it's now onto design of the seating area and purchase of equipment. My goal is to optimize the room for VR setup with a large screen monitor on the back wall.

I also need to convert my current internet hard wiring in the house to a WiFi system, so I have a few ideas there as well. (p.s. I down-loaded the DCS 2.5.5. open beta on the weekend and hit was huge. Took over five hours. I compared my upload/download rates that hovered near 125kbs/480kbs with the government's stated goal of providing everyone with 10Mbs up/50Mbs down high-speed and it's not hard to see why I have problems staying connected.

One piece of gear I'm considering is the ForceFeel insert for your chair. I was wondering if any of you have it? or have any knowledge of it. I read a good review on the ED Forums from a sim pilot (real pilot?) from Dubui who seemed to like it. And it's not stupid expensive. Not a priority, but icing on the cake??? Maybe.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=203529&page=3

https://www.realteus.com/products/forcefeel

Squadron Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  StiC on Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:57 am

If you are going the VR route, I think your money would be better spent upgrading your CPU, RAM and Motherboard. Personally I'd love to get my hands on a Realteus, but the import costs scare the crap out of me.

This episode of the 476th podcast talks about VR and Bass Shakers in DCS.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php?311-476th-Podcast-Episode-13

Warrant Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sim Room Project Update Empty Sim Room Project

Post  Speed on Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:55 am

Thanks StiC,

Yeh that's a good point. My rig is now 8 years old and while the GPU is relatively up to date, the MB is getting on and would no doubt struggle with the demands of VR. I recently read an article that reviewed several older CPU/MB combos and the AM3 Phenom II X6 1090T(3.2GHz) Black Addition and ASUS M4A87TD EVO MB held up pretty well. But that's not to say that they compare in anyway to a modern higher-end setup.

Maybe the best option is to finish the room, migrate my PC and gaming equipment into that space while setting up my WiFi (I'll need a new modem and router and WiFi antenna for the gaming PC) and then add the new flat screen. With that much done, I can continue to fly with TracIR while I set aside some cash for down the road. Then when I'm ready, I can upgrade or replace the PC and add VR capability at that time.

What I'm finding at present is that I don't fly much at all anymore just because it's a PITA to set up and tear down. If I can just get this thing set up in a permanent location so that all I have to do is turn it on and sit down, then I know I'll fly more often.

The other issue of course will continue to be the local internet situation. I just checked Rogers Fiber optics for comparison, and they are offering 15Mbs up/150Mbs down. Holy crap! I'm so far from those speeds I feel like I'm sitting on top of a hill sending and receiving smoke signals.

I'll post some pics later this fall when the room is set up and running. Should be cool (found some nice wall art with a Spitfire for one wall and Hornet on the other)

If I get back from the races in time on Saturday I'll jump on for a quick flight or two.

Cheers

Squadron Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum