Hunters and Hunted

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hunters and Hunted

Post  Speed on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:54 pm

Last night during our sortie we collectively marvelled at MrX as he racked up his score. I recalled this just now as I happened across a para in the book "The Most Dangerous Enemy" that seemed fitting to that discussion:

"The history of combat in the air is short but very well documented. A pilot has to detail every flight in his log book and after an operational sortie pilots are de-briefed. In 1966 an American, Herbert K. Weiss, collated and analysed some historical data and published it in an article called "Systems Analysis Problems of Limited War". He concluded that over 90% of pilots have only a 50:50 chance of getting through their first decisive combat without being shot down. After five decisive encounters their survival chances increased by a factor of twenty. Further data suggests that only about 5% of pilots score five or more victories but that these 5% of pilots score about 40% of all victories claimed in the air."

Have a good weekend. I'm off to do grunt work but will be back next week.

_________________
avatar
Speed
Squadron Leader

Posts : 811
Join date : 2012-03-15
Age : 62
Location : Kingston Ontario Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATAG Action - or lack there of

Post  Speed on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:59 am

2nd night in a row I've flown around in circles seeing nothing for an hour and a half only to be killed in a split second by an unseen 109. Fun or even remotely satisfying?????

_________________
avatar
Speed
Squadron Leader

Posts : 811
Join date : 2012-03-15
Age : 62
Location : Kingston Ontario Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hunters and Hunted

Post  Wolverine on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:53 am

Unfortunate, Dean.

I highly recommend flying on ATAG only when Salmo's new Sunlight mission is running. It has active radar that will put enemy contacts on the in game map including their altitude at time of contact. That'll allow you to vector into combat areas at altitudes that should minimize the possibility of being bounced like that.

Other than that, I rarely fly ATAG alone as it's usually asking for trouble :/

I've been side-tracked lately due to my car accident, but I'm still putting together a mission pack that will hopefully be a lot of fun and offer good practice missions that anyone can host if they want to.

_________________
avatar
Wolverine
Squadron Leader

Posts : 1555
Join date : 2012-01-03
Age : 36
Location : Toronto, Ontario, Canada

View user profile http://401squadron.canadaboard.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Hunters and Hunted

Post  ATAG_Catseye on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:35 am

dnr wrote:2nd night in a row I've flown around in circles seeing nothing for an hour and a half only to be killed in a split second by an unseen 109. Fun or even remotely satisfying?????

Interesting you should say this!

I just posted, for me, an abrupt message on ATAG missions section regarding how boring one of their missions is. The one where the Axis has landed in England. Total waste of time. I'm sure it will raise some hackles. I was wondering if that was the same map you might have been on.

Cheers

_________________
avatar
ATAG_Catseye

Posts : 193
Join date : 2012-05-03
Location : Vernon, BC, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Boring for sure

Post  Speed on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Exactly the same one and not only once. I've flown that same mission three times now and the result is always the same. See nothing until you get bounced by an invisible enemy. I've even adopted an irregular weave pattern to keep eyes on my six but to no avail. I think they should scrap that mission altogether.

_________________
avatar
Speed
Squadron Leader

Posts : 811
Join date : 2012-03-15
Age : 62
Location : Kingston Ontario Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hunters and Hunted

Post  ATAG_Catseye on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm

dnr wrote:Exactly the same one and not only once. I've flown that same mission three times now and the result is always the same. See nothing until you get bounced by an invisible enemy. I've even adopted an irregular weave pattern to keep eyes on my six but to no avail. I think they should scrap that mission altogether.

Just a thought, perhaps you could go over to the ATAG forums and make comment on my post?

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?2484-Operation-Daisy-Boring-boring-boring!

Cheers

_________________
avatar
ATAG_Catseye

Posts : 193
Join date : 2012-05-03
Location : Vernon, BC, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hunters and Hunted

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum